The village had three inns - two of which survive today
All three inns could be found on Towngate
The Inns were a major part of village life
The Armytage Arms was used in 1778 for meetings between Sir George Armytage, the Commissioners and other interested parties when the land in Clifton was being enclosed
Standing by the village green, parts of the former Black Bull date to the 17th Century. Charlie Ingle, founder of a local football club, and his wife Inge lived there until 1986.
The Black Horse
At the Woodhead end of the village, the Black Horse has been a part of village life for centuries
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.